Master Services Agreement
Last modified: May 11, 2023
PLEASE READ THIS CHARMVERSE, INC. MASTER SERVICES AGREEMENT (“AGREEMENT”) CAREFULLY BEFORE PURCHASING OR USING THE SERVICES (DEFINED BELOW) OF CHARMVERSE, INC. (“CHARMVERSE”). BY CLICKING THE “SUBMIT” (OR SIMILAR) BUTTON, ORDERING ANY SERVICES THROUGH THE CHARMVERSE WEBSITE, OR USING THE SERVICES DESCRIBED HEREIN IN ANY MANNER, (I) YOU AND THE ENTITY YOU REPRESENT (“CUSTOMER”) AGREE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS AGREEMENT, AND (II) YOU REPRESENT AND WARRANT THAT YOU ARE AUTHORIZED TO BIND CUSTOMER. IF YOU DO NOT UNCONDITIONALLY AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS AGREEMENT, DO NOT USE THE SERVICES. IF THIS AGREEMENT IS CONSIDERED AN OFFER, ACCEPTANCE IS EXPRESSLY LIMITED TO THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT.
1. Access to the Services. Subject to Customer’s compliance with the terms and conditions of this Agreement CharmVerse grants Customer a nonexclusive, limited, personal, non-sublicensable, nontransferable right and license to internally access and use the CharmVerse product(s) and/or services(s) ordered by Customer (collectively, the “Services”) during the Term (as defined below) for the internal business purposes of Customer, only as provided herein and only in accordance with CharmVerse’s applicable official user documentation for such Services (the “Documentation”). If Customer has any Service use capacity limitations, then CharmVerse has the right to suspend access to the Services when such capacity limitations are reached.
2. Customer Account. CharmVerse will provide Customer with access privileges that permit Customer to access and manage its account through the Services (“Customer Account”). Customer is solely responsible for the activity that occurs on the Customer Account, and for keeping the Customer Account password secure. Customer shall be responsible for the acts or omissions of any person who accesses the Platform using passwords or access procedures provided to or created by Customer.
3. Ownership; Feedback. As between the parties, CharmVerse retains all right, title, and interest in and to the Services, and all software, products, works, and other intellectual property and moral rights related thereto or created, used, or provided by CharmVerse for the purposes of this Agreement, including any copies and derivative works of the foregoing. Any software which is distributed or otherwise provided to Customer hereunder shall be deemed a part of the “Services” and subject to all of the terms and conditions of this Agreement. No rights or licenses are granted except as expressly and unambiguously set forth in this Agreement. Customer may (but is not obligated to) provide suggestions, comments or other feedback to CharmVerse with respect to the Services (“Feedback”). Customer shall, and hereby does, grant to CharmVerse a nonexclusive, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, transferable, sublicensable, royalty-free, fully paid up license to use and exploit the Feedback for any purpose. Nothing in this Agreement will impair CharmVerse’s right to develop, acquire, license, market, promote or distribute products, software or technologies that perform the same or similar functions as, or otherwise compete with any products, software or technologies that Customer may develop, produce, market, or distribute.
4. Fees; Payment. Customer shall pay CharmVerse fees as set forth on CharmVerse’s pricing page available at: https://www.charmverse.io/pricing or as otherwise provided to Customer (“Fees”) through the payment methods CharmVerse makes available to Customer. All Fees are payable in U.S. dollars. Past due Fees are subject to interest on any outstanding balance of the lesser of 1.5% per month or the maximum amount permitted by law. Customer shall be responsible for all taxes associated with the Services (excluding taxes based on CharmVerse’s net income). All Fees paid are non-refundable and are not subject to set-off.
5. Restrictions. Except as expressly set forth in this Agreement, Customer shall not (and shall not permit any third party to), directly or indirectly: (i) reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, or otherwise attempt to discover the source code, object code, or underlying structure, ideas, or algorithms of the Services (except to the extent applicable laws specifically prohibit such restriction); (ii) modify, translate, or create derivative works based on the Services; (iii) copy, rent, lease, distribute, pledge, assign, or otherwise transfer or encumber rights to the Services; (iv) use the Services for the benefit of a third party; (v) remove or otherwise alter any proprietary notices or labels from the Services or any portion thereof; (vi) use the Services to build an application or product that is competitive with any CharmVerse product or Services; (vii) interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Services or any activities conducted on the Services; or (viii) bypass any measures CharmVerse may use to prevent or restrict access to the Services (or other accounts, computer systems or networks connected to the Services). Customer is responsible for all of Customer’s activity in connection with the Services, including but not limited to uploading Customer Data (as defined below) onto the Services. Customer (a) shall use the Services in compliance with all applicable local, state, national and foreign laws, treaties and regulations in connection with Customer’s use of the Services (including those related to data privacy, international communications, export laws and the transmission of technical or personal data laws), and (b) shall not use the Services in a manner that violates any third party intellectual property, contractual or other proprietary rights.
6. Customer Data. For purposes of this Agreement, “Customer Data” shall mean any data, information or other material provided, uploaded, or submitted by Customer to the Services in the course of using the Services. Customer shall retain all right, title and interest in and to the Customer Data, including all intellectual property rights therein. Customer, not CharmVerse, shall have sole responsibility for the accuracy, quality, integrity, legality, reliability, appropriateness, and intellectual property ownership or right to use of all Customer Data and Company acknowledges and agrees that CharmVerse shall have no liability with respect to the foregoing. Customer represents and warrants that it has all rights necessary to provide the Customer Data to CharmVerse as contemplated hereunder, in each case without any infringement, violation or misappropriation of any third party rights (including, without limitation, intellectual property rights and rights of privacy). CharmVerse shall use commercially reasonable efforts to maintain the security and integrity of the Services and the Customer Data. CharmVerse is not responsible to Customer for unauthorized access to Customer Data or the unauthorized use of the Services unless such access is due to CharmVerse’s gross negligence or willful misconduct. Customer is responsible for the use of the Services by any person to whom Customer has given access to the Services, even if Customer did not authorize such use. Customer agrees and acknowledges that Customer Data may be irretrievably deleted if Customer’s account is ninety (90) days or more delinquent. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary, Customer acknowledges and agrees that CharmVerse may (i) internally use and modify (but not disclose) Customer Data for the purposes of (A) providing the Services to Customer and (B) generating Aggregated Anonymous Data (as defined below), and (ii) freely use, retain and make available Aggregated Anonymous Data for CharmVerse’s business purposes (including without limitation, for purposes of improving, testing, operating, conducting benchmarking tests, promoting and marketing CharmVerse’s products and Services). “Aggregated Anonymous Data” means data submitted to, collected by, or generated by CharmVerse in connection with Customer’s use of the Services, but only in aggregate, anonymized form which can in no way be linked specifically to Customer.
7. Third Party Services and Content. Customer acknowledges and agrees that the Services may operate on, with or using application programming interfaces (APIs) or other services operated or information provided or made available by third parties (“Third Party Services and Content”), including without limitation through integrations or connectors to such Third Party Services and Content that are provided by CharmVerse. CharmVerse is not responsible for (i) the operation of any Third Party Services and Content, (ii) the availability or operation of the Services to the extent such availability and operation is dependent upon Third Party Services and Content, or (iii) information included or made accessible through such Third Party Services and Content. Customer is solely responsible for complying with any applicable terms or conditions set forth in this Agreement, or otherwise presented to Customer through the Services, with respect such Third Party Services and Content. CharmVerse does not make any representations or warranties with respect to Third Party Services and Content or any third party providers. Except as otherwise expressly set forth in this Agreement, any use or exchange of content, data or other interaction between Customer and a third party provider is solely between Customer and such third party provider and is governed by such third party’s terms and conditions.
8. Confidentiality. Each party agrees that the business, technical and financial information, that is designated in writing as confidential, or is disclosed in a manner that a reasonable person would understand the confidentiality of the information disclosed, shall be the confidential property of the disclosing party and its licensors (“Confidential Information”). Confidential Information does not include information that (a) is previously rightfully known to the receiving party without restriction on disclosure, (b) is or becomes known to the general public, through no act or omission on the part of the receiving party, (c) is disclosed to the receiving party by a third party without breach of any separate nondisclosure obligation, or (d) is independently developed by the receiving party. Except as expressly and unambiguously allowed herein, the receiving party will hold in confidence and not use or disclose any Confidential Information and shall similarly bind its employees, consultants, and independent contractors. Upon the expiration or termination of this Agreement, all of the Confidential Information (including any copies) will be returned to the disclosing party, and receiving party will make no further use of such materials. If required by law, the receiving party may disclose Confidential Information of the disclosing party, but will give adequate prior notice of such disclosure to the disclosing party to permit the disclosing party to intervene and to request protective orders or other confidential treatment therefor.
9. Publicity. Customer hereby grants CharmVerse a non-exclusive license to include Customer’s name and standard logo within lists of customers utilizing CharmVerse’s services, both on CharmVerse’s public-facing website and in marketing and promotional materials. Additionally, from time to time, Customer also agrees to participate in case studies as reasonably requested by CharmVerse.
10. Term; Termination. This Agreement shall commence upon the date Customer accepts this Agreement, and shall continue for the applicable subscription period set forth on the Services during the ordering process (the “Initial Term”) unless earlier terminated as set forth herein. For any Services which are subject to renewal, following the Initial Term, subject to Customer’s payment of all applicable fees, this Agreement may be renewed for successive renewal periods as set forth on the Services (each, a “Renewal Term”, and together with the Initial Term, the “Term”). In the event of a material breach of this Agreement by either party, the non-breaching party may terminate this Agreement by providing written notice to the breaching party, provided that the breaching party does not materially cure such breach within thirty (30) days of receipt of such notice. Without limiting the foregoing, CharmVerse may suspend or limit Customer’s access to or use of the Services if (i) Customer’s account is past due, or (ii) Customer’s use of the Services results in (or is reasonably likely to result in) damage to or material degradation of the Services which interferes with CharmVerse’s ability to provide access to the Services to other customers; provided that in the case of subsection (ii): (a) CharmVerse shall use reasonable good faith efforts to work with Customer to resolve or mitigate the damage or degradation in order to resolve the issue without resorting to suspension or limitation; (b) prior to any such suspension or limitation, CharmVerse shall use commercially reasonable efforts to provide notice to Customer describing the nature of the damage or degradation; and (c) CharmVerse shall reinstate Customer’s use of or access to the Services, as applicable, if Customer remediates the issue within thirty (30) days of receipt of such notice. All provisions of this Agreement which by their nature should survive termination shall survive termination, including, without limitation, accrued payment obligations, ownership provisions, warranty disclaimers, indemnity and limitations of liability. For clarity, any Services provided by CharmVerse to Customer, including any assistance in exporting the Customer Data, shall be billable at CharmVerse’s standard rates then in effect.
11. Representations and Warranties; Disclaimer.
Each party represents and warrants that: (i) it is a duly organized and validly existing under the laws of the jurisdiction in which it is organized; (ii) it has full power and authority, and has obtained all approvals, permissions and consents necessary, to enter into this Agreement, to perform its obligations and to grant the rights hereunder; (iii) this Agreement is legally binding upon it and enforceable in accordance with its terms; and (iv) the execution, delivery and performance of this Agreement does not and will not conflict with any agreement, instrument, judgment or understanding, oral or written, to which it is a party or by which it may be bound.
Customer represents and warrants to CharmVerse that (i) Customer owns all rights, title and interest in and to the Customer Data, or that Customer has otherwise secured all necessary rights in the Customer Data for CharmVerse to perform the Services; and (ii) Customer and all users granted access to the Platform or Services under this Agreement will not use the Services in violation of any laws or regulations.
CharmVerse warrants to Customer that (i) the Services will be provided in a professional and workmanlike manner; and (ii) the Services will perform in accordance with the Documentation in all material respects. In the event that the Services fail to satisfy this warranty, CharmVerse will, at its own expense, as Customer’s sole and exclusive remedy, either: (A) promptly replace the Services with a solution that materially conforms to the Documentation; or (B) promptly repair the Services so that they materially conform to the Documentation.
EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY SET FORTH HEREIN, THE SERVICES ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” AND ARE WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND ANY WARRANTIES IMPLIED BY ANY COURSE OF PERFORMANCE, USAGE OF TRADE, OR COURSE OF DEALING, ALL OF WHICH ARE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMED. CHARMVERSE DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE SERVICES WILL MEET CUSTOMER’S REQUIREMENTS OR RESULT IN ANY OUTCOME, OR THAT THEIR OPERATION WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE.
12. Indemnification. Each party (“Indemnitor”) shall defend, indemnify, and hold harmless the other party, its affiliates and each of its and its affiliates’ employees, contractors, directors, suppliers and representatives (collectively, the “Indemnitee”) from all liabilities, claims, and expenses paid or payable to an unaffiliated third party (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) (“Losses”), that arise from or relate to any claim that (i) the Customer Data or Customer’s use of the Services (in the case of Customer as Indemnitor), or , or (ii) the Services (in the case of CharmVerse as Indemnitor), infringe, violate, or misappropriate any third party intellectual property or proprietary right. Each Indemnitor’s indemnification obligations hereunder shall be conditioned upon the Indemnitee providing the Indemnitor with: (x) prompt written notice of any claim (provided that a failure to provide such notice shall only relieve the Indemnitor of its indemnity obligations if the Indemnitor is materially prejudiced by such failure); (y) the option to assume sole control over the defense and settlement of any claim (provided that the Indemnitee may participate in such defense and settlement at its own expense); and (z) reasonable information and assistance in connection with such defense and settlement (at the Indemnitor’s expense). The foregoing obligations of CharmVerse do not apply with respect to the Services or any information, technology, materials or data (or any portions or components of the foregoing) to the extent (a) not created or provided by CharmVerse (including without limitation any Customer Data), (b) made in whole or in part in accordance to Customer specifications, (c) modified after delivery by CharmVerse, (d) combined with other products, processes or materials not provided by CharmVerse (where the alleged Losses arise from or relate to such combination), (e) where Customer continues allegedly infringing activity after being notified thereof or after being informed of modifications that would have avoided the alleged infringement, or (f) Customer’s use of the Services is not strictly in accordance herewith.
13. Limitation of Liability. EXCEPT FOR THE PARTIES’ INDEMNIFICATION OBLIGATIONS AND FOR CUSTOMER’S BREACH OF SECTION 6 (RESTRICTIONS), IN NO EVENT SHALL EITHER PARTY, NOR ITS DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, PARTNERS, SUPPLIERS OR CONTENT PROVIDERS, BE LIABLE UNDER CONTRACT, TORT, STRICT LIABILITY, NEGLIGENCE OR ANY OTHER LEGAL OR EQUITABLE THEORY WITH RESPECT TO THE SUBJECT MATTER OF THIS AGREEMENT (I) FOR ANY LOST PROFITS, DATA LOSS, COST OF PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES, OR SPECIAL, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER, SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES (HOWEVER ARISING), (II) FOR ANY BUGS, VIRUSES, TROJAN HORSES, OR THE LIKE (REGARDLESS OF THE SOURCE OF ORIGINATION), OR (III) FOR ANY DIRECT DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF (IN THE AGGREGATE) THE FEES PAID (OR PAYABLE) BY CUSTOMER TO CHARMVERSE HEREUNDER IN THE TWELVE (12) MONTHS PRIOR TO THE EVENT GIVING RISE TO A CLAIM HEREUNDER.
Miscellaneous. This Agreement represents the entire agreement between Customer and CharmVerse with respect to the subject matter hereof, and supersedes all prior or contemporaneous communications and proposals (whether oral, written or electronic) between Customer and CharmVerse with respect thereto. This Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of New York, excluding its conflicts of law rules, and the parties consent to exclusive jurisdiction and venue in the state and federal courts located in the State of New York. All notices under this Agreement shall be in writing and shall be deemed to have been duly given when received, if personally delivered or sent by certified or registered mail, return receipt requested; when receipt is electronically confirmed, if transmitted by facsimile or e-mail; or the day after it is sent, if sent for next day delivery by recognized overnight delivery Services. Either party may update its address or email by giving notice in accordance with this section. Except as otherwise provided herein, any provision of this Agreement may be amended or waived only by a writing executed by both parties. Except for payment obligations, neither party shall be liable for any failure to perform its obligations hereunder where such failure results from any cause beyond such party’s reasonable control, including, without limitation, the elements; fire; flood; severe weather; earthquake; pandemic; vandalism; accidents; sabotage; power failure; denial of Services attacks or similar attacks; Internet failure; acts of God and the public enemy; acts of war; acts of terrorism; riots; civil or public disturbances; strikes lock-outs or labor disruptions; any laws, orders, rules, regulations, acts or restraints of any government or governmental body or authority, civil or military, including the orders and judgments of courts. Neither party may assign any of its rights or obligations hereunder without the other party’s consent; provided that (i) CharmVerse may assign all of its rights and obligations hereunder without such consent to a successor-in-interest in connection with a sale of substantially all of such its business relating to this Agreement, and (ii) CharmVerse may utilize subcontractors in the performance of its obligations hereunder. No agency, partnership, joint venture, or employment relationship is created as a result of this Agreement and neither party has any authority of any kind to bind the other in any respect. In any action or proceeding to enforce rights under this Agreement, the prevailing party shall be entitled to recover costs and attorneys’ fees. If any provision of this Agreement is held to be unenforceable for any reason, such provision shall be reformed only to the extent necessary to make it enforceable. The failure of either party to act with respect to a breach of this Agreement by the other party shall not constitute a waiver and shall not limit such party’s rights with respect to such breach or any subsequent breaches.